For the last 2 years, we have worked relentlessly with scientists and experts to work out and prove the efficacy of an exclusive serum formula. And today marks the day we can finally offer the Bio-Pilixin® Serum, the one that is proven to reduce hair loss by up to 83%, with a 93% efficacy rate.
With countless products flustering the market, we are committed to developing our rightful position through science-backed solutions that deliver real impacts. We believe it is our responsibility to enable you to make an informed decision every single time. Our goal is to empower your hair journey with potent formulations so that you may get the best from the science behind every ingredient and its intended purpose.
Before elaborating on the findings of our recently conducted clinical study, it is essential to recap how hair normally grows along with the factors that can cause initial hair loss and thinning.
How Does Hair Normally Grow?
Normally, a hair growth cycle consists of four main phases:
- Anagen (growth): This is the period of active cell division and noticeable hair growth. Throughout hair cycles, about 90% of all follicles are in the anagen phase and can remain in this phase anywhere from 2 to 8 years.
- Catagen (regression): Over 2 to 3 weeks, cell production is halted, and the hair follicle shrinks. The hair shaft begins to separate from the bottom of the follicle and forms club hair.
- Telogen (resting): This phase is marked as the end of hair production as the follicle undergoes dormancy or cell quiescence. The follicle can remain dormant for up to 3 months with the hair club intact.
- Exogen (shedding): Coupled with the telogen phase, exogen is when the hairs fall out of the follicle, during which new hair begins to grow in the follicle as it returns to the anagen phase.
What Alters This Cycle?
Most hair loss cases are due to an undesired alteration in the natural hair growth cycle. Notably, several known factors influence hair loss, including:3
- Lifestyle factors (diet, stress…etc)
Any of these underlying factors may alter hair follicle cycling, resulting in a shorter anagen phase, delayed anagen phase, or hair thinning caused by follicular miniaturisation.
How We Target Hair Loss
The Bio-Pilixin® Serum was designed for individuals with various types of early-stage hair loss or those who desire to maintain hair volume.
To better understand how exactly the Bio-Pilixin® Serum reduces hair thinning and promotes growth, a team of researchers investigated the following experimental objectives on a cohort of 30 individuals for 150 days:
- The Effect of Bio-Pilixin® Serum on the reduction of hair loss
- The Effect of Bio-Pilixin® Serum on the regrowth of new hairs (hair density)
- Number of hairs in the anagen and telogen phase
1. The Effect of Bio-Pilixin® Serum on the Reduction of Hair Loss
To examine the effect of Bio-Pilixin® Serum on hair loss, volunteers underwent a wash and comb test in trichology. Under standardised conditions, individuals had their hair washed and combed during each clinic visit. During this treatment, all hair strands that fell during each of the processes were saved and reported.
Notably, it was found that 93.3 % experienced a reduction in hair loss after 150 days of treatment with a mean reduction of 52% of hair falling out compared to the first day of the study.
2. The Effect of Bio-Pilixin® Serum on the Regrowth of New Hairs
As mentioned, the anagen phase of the hair growth cycle is normally quite long, and hair can stay in this growth phase anywhere between 2-8 years. Therefore, it is within the expectation that some months may pass before individuals can see major changes in their hair density or regrowth.
In the clinical study of Bio-Pilixin® Serum, hair density (number of hair per cm2 ) was assessed throughout the study using a TrichoScan®, or simply a software-based method used to determine hair density along with the status of hair roots of scalp hair.
Results showed that more than 70% of individuals in the study experienced an increase in hair density with an average increase of slightly over 8%. With the average human head containing roughly 100,000 hairs, this 8% is equivalent to 8,000 new hair strands expected to emerge over 150 days. While the hairs may be hardly noticeable, they are just starting to grow and should be given time to develop.
3. Number of hairs in the anagen and telogen phase
One of the most prominent aspects to consider when assessing hair growth products is the product’s ability to influence the anagen and telogen phases. Even though examining this is not always straightforward, it truly helps to unveil the potential of a product.
Since all factors that provoke hair loss, whether genetic or lifestyle-induced, impact the delicate hair growth cycle, it makes sense to assess how products alter them.
In the clinical study of Bio-Pilixin® Serum, a trichogram was used to help determine the number of hairs in the anagen and telogen phases of all participants. Unlike a TrichoScan®, a trichogram is a semi-invasive method that requires hairs to be extracted by the roots so that scientists can assess the hair bulbs by microscopy.
This process allows scientists to closely examine the hair bulb and determine which stage of the hair growth cycle the bulb belongs to.
The trichograms findings showed that 90% of the cohort demonstrated an average of 20% more hairs in the anagen phase after 150 days. Additionally, approximately 86% of the cohort demonstrated an average decrease of 40% in the telogen phase at the end of the study.
These numbers insinuate that Bio-Pilixin® Serum is indeed able to support the normalisation of the hair growth cycle. Moreover, it happens naturally by reducing the number of hairs in the telogen phase and increasing the hairs in the active growth phase.
Want to know more?
While the above is only a snapshot of the entire clinical study, it is apparent that Bio-Pilixin® Serum can deliver tangible results for those looking to reduce further thinning or loss.
You can download the entire Bio-Pilixin® Clinical Study here for further information, including all supporting data. We hope you can get a better understanding of our Bio-Pilixin® Serum formula and make the best choice for your hair journey.
1. Burg, D., Yamamoto, M., Namekata, M., Haklani, J., Koike, K., & Halasz, M. (2017). Promotion of anagen, increased hair density and reduction of hair fall in a clinical setting following identification of FGF5-inhibiting compounds via a novel 2-stage process. Clinical, cosmetic and investigational dermatology, 10, 71.
2. Houschyar, K. S., Borrelli, M. R., Tapking, C., Popp, D., Puladi, B., Ooms, M., ... & Duscher, D. (2020). Molecular mechanisms of hair growth and regeneration: current understanding and novel paradigms. Dermatology, 236(4), 271-280.
3. França, K., Rodrigues, T. S., Ledon, J., Savas, J., & Chacon, A. (2013). Comprehensive overview and treatment update on hair loss.
4. Geyfman, M., Plikus, M. V., Treffeisen, E., Andersen, B., & Paus, R. (2015). Resting no more: re-defining telogen, the maintenance stage of the hair growth cycle. Biological Reviews, 90(4), 1179-1196.
5. Higgins, C. A., Westgate, G. E., & Jahoda, C. A. (2009). From telogen to exogen: mechanisms underlying formation and subsequent loss of the hair club fiber. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 129(9), 2100-2108.
6. Alonso, L., & Fuchs, E. (2006). The hair cycle. Journal of cell science, 119(3), 391-393.
7 Scandinavian Biolabs. (2022). A Clinical Efficacy Study of the BIO-PILIXIN® Formula Used in a Hair Serum.