PRP (platelet-rich plasma) therapy has become a popular treatment for hair loss in both men and women. But how much does each PRP treatment session typically cost?
How Much Are PRP Injections for Hair Loss?
On average, PRP injections for hair loss range from $500 to $1500 per session. Most patients require between 3 to 6 sessions initially, followed by maintenance sessions every 6 to 12 months for sustained results. This means the total cost is generally between $3000 to $9000.
Factors impacting the cost per PRP treatment include:
- Doctor's expertise and demand - Top hair restoration physicians often charge more.
- Clinic overhead expenses - Fancier offices typically bill higher prices.
- Extent of hair loss - Treating more scalp area takes more plasma and time.
- Number of sessions - More sessions may offer package pricing.
- Geographic location - Major metro areas are pricier than rural clinics.
Many clinics offer flexible payment plans to break up the cost over multiple months. Significant discounts are also sometimes available for prepaid treatment packages.
Does Insurance Cover PRP Injections?
Unfortunately, insurance does not cover PRP therapy for hair loss or hair thinning because it’s considered an elective, cosmetic treatment. Patients need to pay out-of-pocket for PRP sessions.
Why PRP is Not Covered
Reasons insurance does not cover PRP for hair include:
- Not an approved treatment for alopecia areata or androgenetic alopecia.
- Considered experimental due to limited data on efficacy.
- Deemed cosmetic instead of medically necessary.
Some plans may cover PRP for wound healing in specific conditions like ulcers. But purely aesthetic uses are excluded.
How Many PRP Treatments Are Needed?
Most PRP protocols involve:
- 3-6 initial treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart
- Maintenance sessions every 6-12 months for sustained results
- Additional sessions as needed to target specific areas
So while each session may cost $500-$1500, the total number needed makes the cumulative cost substantial. Maintenance is required long-term.
Does PRP For Hair Loss Produce Permanent Results?
No, PRP injections do not produce permanent hair regrowth. Results typically last 12-18 months before starting to regress without maintenance sessions. PRP stimulates hair follicles but does not alter a person's genetic predisposition for hair thinning or loss.
Other Affordable Options for Hair Loss
Lower cost options for treating hair loss include:
- Minoxidil topical solution
- Hair thickening shampoos and concealers
- Scalp massage devices
- Laser hair growth devices
- Microneedling treatments
- Dietary supplements like biotin and saw palmetto
However, these may be less effective than PRP for moderate to advanced cases.
The Bottom Line
PRP injections typically cost between $500-$1500 per session. Most patients need 3-6 initial treatments and ongoing maintenance. Results are not permanent and insurance does not cover PRP for hair loss. Affordable options exist but may be less efficacious.
Unlock the Power of Scandinavian Biolabs for a Healthier, Fuller Head of Hair
At Scandinavian Biolabs, we believe that everyone deserves to feel confident and beautiful in their own hair. That's why we've dedicated ourselves to developing cutting-edge hair loss solutions that are safe, effective, and backed by science.
Our revolutionary products are designed to combat your hair loss concerns. With Scandinavian Biolabs, you can finally say goodbye to hair loss and embrace a healthier, fuller head of hair.
Don't let hair loss hold you back any longer. Experience the Scandinavian Biolabs difference and unlock the potential of your hair's natural beauty.