PRP (platelet-rich plasma) therapy has become a popular treatment approach for stimulating hair growth in cases of pattern baldness or alopecia. But how much does PRP treatment for hair loss typically cost?
How Much is PRP for Hair Loss?
On average, PRP injections for hair loss range from $500 to $1500 per session. Most patients require 3-6 sessions initially, followed by maintenance sessions every 6 to 12 months. So the total cost often ranges from $3000 to $9000 or more.
Factors impacting the PRP cost include:
- Doctor’s expertise and demand – Top hair restoration physicians often charge more.
- Overhead expenses – Fancier offices typically bill higher prices.
- Extent of hair loss – Treating more scalp area takes more plasma and time.
- Number of sessions – More sessions may offer package pricing.
- Geographic location – Major metro areas are generally pricier.
Many clinics offer flexible payment plans to break up the cost over multiple months. Significant discounts are also sometimes available for prepaid treatment packages.
Does Insurance Cover PRP for Hair Loss?
Unfortunately, health insurance does not cover PRP therapy for hair loss or thinning hair since it’s considered an elective, cosmetic treatment. Patients need to pay out-of-pocket for PRP sessions.
Why PRP is Not Covered
Reasons insurance does not cover PRP for hair include:
- Not an approved treatment for alopecia areata or androgenetic alopecia
- Considered experimental due to limited clinical trial data
- Deemed cosmetic instead of medically necessary
Some plans may cover PRP for wound healing or joint injections. But cosmetic uses are excluded.
How Many PRP Sessions Are Needed?
Most PRP protocols involve:
- 3-6 initial treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart
- Maintenance sessions every 6-12 months for sustained results
- Additional sessions as needed to target specific areas
While each session costs $500-$1500, the total number makes the cumulative cost substantial. Consistency is key.
Does PRP For Hair Loss Produce Permanent Results?
No, PRP injections do not produce permanent hair regrowth. Results typically last 12-18 months before starting to regress without maintenance sessions. PRP stimulates hair follicles but does not alter a person's genetic predisposition for hair thinning or loss.
Other Potential Hair Growth Options
Alternative options for treating hair loss include:
- Over-the-counter minoxidil
- Prescription finasteride or dutasteride
- Low-level laser therapy devices
- Microneedling treatments
- Hair transplants
- Supplements like biotin, iron or saw palmetto
However, PRP may provide superior results for some patients. Discuss options with your doctor.
The Bottom Line
On average, PRP injections for hair loss range from $500-$1500 per session, with 3-6 initial treatments needed. Ongoing maintenance is required over time. Results are not permanent and insurance does not cover PRP for cosmetic purposes. Other options exist but may be less effective.
Unlock the Power of Scandinavian Biolabs for a Healthier, Fuller Head of Hair
At Scandinavian Biolabs, we believe that everyone deserves to feel confident and beautiful in their own hair. That's why we've dedicated ourselves to developing cutting-edge hair loss solutions that are safe, effective, and backed by science.
Our revolutionary products are designed to combat your hair loss concerns. With Scandinavian Biolabs, you can finally say goodbye to hair loss and embrace a healthier, fuller head of hair.
Don't let hair loss hold you back any longer. Experience the Scandinavian Biolabs difference and unlock the potential of your hair's natural beauty.