PRP therapy uses injections of platelet-rich plasma to stimulate hair growth. But how many PRP treatment sessions are actually needed to see results? Keep reading to find out.
How Many PRP Sessions Are Needed for Hair Growth?
Most PRP protocols involve receiving 3-6 initial treatment sessions spaced 4-6 weeks apart, followed by maintenance sessions every 6-12 months. The number of initial and maintenance sessions can vary based on hair loss severity and how an individual responds to PRP.
Typical PRP Protocol Explained
A typical PRP treatment plan looks like this:
- Initial sessions: 3-6 sessions 4-6 weeks apart to stimulate follicles and spur regrowth.
- Maintenance: Sessions every 6-12 months to maintain and optimize results long-term.
- Touch-ups: Additional sessions as needed to target specific areas.
Factors That Influence Session Number
Elements that impact the number of PRP sessions needed include:
- Hair loss extent - More extensive thinning needs more sessions.
- Treatment goals - Restoring some hair requires fewer sessions than major regrowth.
- Age and health - Younger, healthier patients may need fewer sessions.
- Response variability - Some respond better than others.
- Concurrent therapies - Combining PRP with medications or lasers may require fewer sessions.
What Happens in Each PRP Session?
During each PRP session:
- Blood is drawn from the arm.
- The blood is spun in a centrifuge to isolate the platelet-rich plasma.
- PRP is prepared and activated to release growth factors.
- PRP is injected into the scalp at affected areas.
- The process takes about 60-90 minutes per session.
When Are PRP Results Visible?
Patients can expect to see PRP results at the following general timeline:
- 1-3 months: Initial shedding phase as growth cycle restarts.
- 3-6 months: New hair growth becomes noticeable.
- 6-12 months: Continued improvement in density and coverage.
- 12+ months: Maximal hair regeneration achieved (with maintenance).
Is Maintenance Needed to Sustain PRP Hair Growth?
Yes, ongoing maintenance is vital for maintaining PRP results. The growth factors in PRP gradually degrade over time. Follow-up sessions every 6-12 months are needed to "recharge" the growth factors and keep hair follicles stimulated.
Can PRP Regrow Hair Permanently?
No, PRP is not considered a permanent hair loss cure. Results last 12-18 months on average before beginning to regress. Lifelong maintenance sessions at periodic intervals are required to retain the benefits long-term.
The Bottom Line
In most cases, 3 to 6 initial PRP sessions are needed to spur hair regrowth, followed by maintenance sessions every 6 to 12 months long-term. However, the ideal number of treatments is customized during an in-person consultation. With consistency, PRP can stimulate significant hair regeneration.
Unlock the Power of Scandinavian Biolabs for a Healthier, Fuller Head of Hair
At Scandinavian Biolabs, we believe that everyone deserves to feel confident and beautiful in their own hair. That's why we've dedicated ourselves to developing cutting-edge hair loss solutions that are safe, effective, and backed by science.
Our revolutionary products are designed to combat your hair loss concerns. With Scandinavian Biolabs, you can finally say goodbye to hair loss and embrace a healthier, fuller head of hair.
Don't let hair loss hold you back any longer. Experience the Scandinavian Biolabs difference and unlock the potential of your hair's natural beauty.