Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a hormonal enzyme that blocks nourishment from reaching the hair follicles. DHT causes hairs to become weak and thin and lead to hair loss.
Studies have found that DHT Blocker shampoos have been successful in treating hair loss, especially if other medications are being taken with it. DHT shampoos have very mild side effects that can contribute to itchy and dry skin. As the name suggests, DHT blocker shampoos block the hormone from entering your scalp.
There is very limited research done on the DHT blocker shampoos and if they cause any side effects. In this article, we will be covering DHT Blocker Shampoo side effects.
- Gabapentin and Hair Loss: How To Deal With It?
- Amino Acids For Hair: The Basics
- Hair Falling Out In Shower: What Do I Do?
What Are DHT Blocker Shampoo Side Effects?
- Scalp rashes, blisters and burn
- Change of hair texture
- Irritation, dryness in scalp
- Allergic reactions such as wheezing, difficulty breathing, hives, rashes, heart palpitations, fear, anxiety and swelling.
- Some ingredients accelerate hair loss
- Fading hair color
- Premature scalp aging
- Inflammation and block blood circulation to hair follicles.
- Encourage production of weak and thin hairs.
Another side effect that you can have from DHT blocking shampoos is an allergic reaction. Some allergic reactions can be mild to severe. That mostly gives you hives, makes it hard to breathe, and causes rashes.
You can also get allergic rhinitis that can lead to nasal congestion or sneezing. Severe reactions can be wheezing, heart palpitations, fear, and anxiety, swelling of the face and eyes.
If your scalp is sensitive, the chemicals in the shampoo can cause your hair to break out and produce weak and thin hair instead of fixing it.
Are DHT blocker shampoos effective in preventing hair loss?
DHT shampoos are good to prevent hair fall in the early stages, but they can not reverse hair loss. These shampoos are usually taken with other medications; hence they are not as effective alone.
But once the follicles are dead, it is not reversible with shampoos alone. If you're in doubt whether shampoos can actually help you regrow hair, check out our quiz!
What to do if you see side effects?
In case of severe side effects of DHT blockers shampoo, consult a doctor as soon as possible. Do not apply the shampoo again and wait for the doctor’s instruction for further medication for hair loss.
- Dihydrotestosterone [Internet]. [cited 2021 Sep 19]. Available from: https://www.yourhormones.info/hormones/dihydrotestosterone/
- Burke D. Allergic Reaction: Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention & More [Internet]. 2021 [cited 2021 Sep 19]. Available from: https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/allergic-reaction
- Green B. How Bad are Parabens for Your Hair? [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2021 Sep 19]. Available from: https://voiceofhair.com/how-bad-are-parabens-for-your-hair/