Everyone aspires to have thick and healthy hair, but it may not be the case once we start aging. Honestly, factors like age, genetics, sun exposure, pregnancy, lifestyle, health conditions, and stress affect our skin and hair.
Moreover, the chemical-filled products you use on your hair to fix it can rapidly degrade the integrity of the hair follicles and lead to male pattern baldness or bad hairlines.
- Hair Falling Out In Shower: What Do I Do?
- Amino Acids For Hair: The Basics
- Low Hairline: Definition, Cause & Treatment
What Is A Bad Hairline?
The hairline is an outline of the region where the hair starts to grow on your head. Everyone has their unique hairline, defined by their characteristics such as age, stature, shape, genetics, etc.
It gives you a unique feature that contributes to your appearance. The sad part is that not everyone gets to have the same hairline as they age. That is usually because of hair loss that older men have to go through.
Losing hair will automatically give you a bad hairline; an outline of your hair on your forehead will recede backward, or you lose your hair entirely. Genetics plays a vital role in this bad hairline. Moreover, male pattern baldness occurs by not having enough nutrients, having a stressful lifestyle, and other disorders can lead you to have a bad hairline.
Symptoms Of Bad Hairline
You will be able to spot a bad hairline if your appearance changes. Although it does not happen overnight, you will gradually feel that your hairline is receding backward and losing more hair.
We have listed some common symptoms of bad hairline so you can take quick action while it's happening:
- Pictures: You can always compare your older photographs with your recent ones to check for any prominent changes in your hairline. A better option would be to click a picture of your hairline every 2 to 3 months to see if you're losing hair.
- Hair Action Changes: If you start to feel that your hair is acting differently than it used to, note that this is due to your hair becoming thinner and receding backward.
- Thin Areas in Hair: Men with Male Pattern Baldness experience thinning of their hair in some parts of the scalp along with a receding hairline. You can check this by examining your hair around the temples and the head crowns.
- Rapid Hair Loss: One of the most evident signs of a bad hairline is losing hair. Even though it is normal for an average person to lose 100 strands per day, losing more than this can be alarming. Losing hair would have hairlines around the head and might slowly recede backward. It can also indicate that you are experiencing Male Pattern Baldness.
- Uneven Hairline: Receding backward hairline is one thing, and having an uneven hairline right on your face is the worst. If you had a proper even hairline before you noticed the change, it means that you may be experiencing Male Pattern Baldness. Recent studies have found Male Pattern Baldness to cause asymmetrical hair loss, meaning uneven hairline.
Why does a bad hairline happen?
In any way you notice your hairline to be less even, going backward, or any difference that you can spot may be the signs of Male Pattern baldness that can lead to bad hairlines.
Male Pattern Baldness is a hair loss disease caused by Dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is a byproduct of testosterone, which is responsible for developing some male characteristics e.g. pubic hair, muscles, voice change, etc.
Evidence shows that a high level of DHT will affect your hair follicles by starving them. DHT causes hair to grow out thinner and weaker until they have entirely disappeared. DHT might be beneficial for other parts of the body's hair but not for your scalp. Therefore, you might want to know how to remove DHT from your scalp.
Although genetics is probably the significant reason for losing hair, other factors such as age, stress, poor diet, and unhealthy lifestyle can cause hair loss too, which will also affect the hairlines.
How do you diagnose a bad hairline?
- Medical history
- Physical exam
- Digital assessment
- Blood test
There are many ways a professional can diagnose the hair loss which is causing a bad hairline. It can be genetic, medical, or environmental. There are some ways and techniques cantor assess the hair loss pattern much more accurately. These diagnoses include:
- Medical History: A patient’s medical history is of utmost importance as they are to explain when the hair loss began, what hair styling products or hairstyles they used to wear if anyone else in the family has hair loss issues, and any, other symptoms related to hair loss. Some even take records of what food you eat.
- Physical Exam: There are two main physical exams: Pull Test and Tug Test (PTTT) and Card Examination. PTTT is when the dermatologist will hold some strands of your hair for 40 seconds from different parts of your scalp and tug on them. If more than six strands come out, it means you have male pattern baldness. Card Test examines the health of hair shafts and sees how much new hair is growing.
- Digital Assessment: Doctors have also been using digital assessment tools to assess hair loss. The measurement tool to examine hair loss is called a Folliscope. Folliscope shows a high definition, a microscopic image of the scalp. It shows the diameter of each strand and can also count the total number of hair on the scalp.
- Blood Tests: Some blood tests such as iron deficiency, high DHT level, thyroid (Free T4 & T3) tests are needed to see if these levels are imbalanced to cause hair loss.
- Pictures: Lastly, photographs can also help in determining if someone is losing hair from their hairline, making them look bad.
How to treat your bad hairline?
Are you worried about going bald? Cannot have your hairline fading back more than it already is?
Well, good thing we live in the 21 century. Many studies have approved treatment for hair loss, which in return treats your bad hairline. If you wish to fix your hairline or grow it back, these methods will help you.
Some quality hair loss shampoos help in blocking the DHT, which is the prime cause of hair loss. These shampoos encourage follicle stimulation and scalp moisturization to create a thick and dark hairline.
Hair Loss Drugs
Some experts recommend the use of medicine to treat hair loss. Generally, when they are diagnosed with Male Pattern Baldness. These medicines are Minoxidil and Finasteride.
These medications have not only proved to be useful for stopping hair loss but also proved beneficial for the restart of the hair growth cycle.
- Minoxidil: The medicine is well-known with the name of Rogaine. It is available as an over-the-counter product. It relaxes the blood vessels for better circulation to the scalp. It helps in getting rid of old hairs and growing new thicker, and healthier hair.
- Finasteride: Finasteride is popularly known as Propecia (see our comparison here). They are typically consumed orally. The prime role of Finasteride is to Block DHT. It's an FDA-approved drug to treat Male Pattern Baldness.
There had been a high number of productive results but some of these medications proved to be useless. However, many studies have suggested that using this medication can help stop their hair fall and regrow new hair.
But, you might run into side effects of them. It's better to evaluate all your options with all these alternatives to minoxidil.
Another factor that can cause hair loss is stress. Stress induces weight loss and high blood pressure. To ensure that you do not trigger hair loss, you should adopt these ways to recover from stress hair loss.
Taking care of yourself is the best medication to help you fix all your hair problems. A bad diet can cause stress as well. Therefore eating healthy food will help you maintain your body.
Proper Intake Of Nutrients
Having high sugar diet can cause obesity. Obesity can affect your hormones that further affects your insulin production. It can lead to diabetes as well as hair loss. Researchers have recommended eating more healthy vegetables to keep getting the adequate nutrients that your body requires.
One of the last options for a man to take would be a hair transplant. This medical procedure takes the healthy hair follicles and plants them on bald areas to encourage healthy hair. The hair transplant surgery is performed by a trained dermatologist surgeon.
The recovery process can take weeks from this transplant. If medicines do not work for male pattern baldness, then a hair transplant is the best solution. They not only help fill your bald areas but also correct your hairline.
Laser Hair Therapy
FDA-approved Laser therapy has been making rounds in the market. The treatment helps circulate blood flow to hair follicles. It induces regrowth of hair and can be thicker than before after several sessions.
It is also known as red light therapy or cold laser therapy. There are different types of laser therapy devices and used for the convenience of the patient. They are:
- Overhead Panel
How to conceal your bad hairline?
Just because you have a bad hairline does not mean you have lost all the hair on your head. You still style your hair to make your appearance look better.
Switch up your hairstyle
You can always go to your nearby barber to get a haircut that suits your feature. A lot of men with bad hairlines get a crew cut, a buzz cut, or a taper fade haircut. Some men look good by going all-natural.
Use styling products
If haircuts are not on your list, you can opt for a hairstyle by using some of the most effective products that give your hair volume and shine. Pomade is popular that gives you a natural feel to your hairstyle and that shine.
It works like a gel but is more soft and lightweight. You can also use styling creams to enhance your hair texture and consistency. It will add more volume to your hair without bringing it down.
Mental health and bad hairline
Most importantly, let's talk about mental health.
Having a bad hairline is certainly damages your self-confidence and self-esteem. It's important to note that stressing about bad hairlines will exacerbate the situation.
You should always consult with a psychologist or your doctor if you're feeling depressed, anxious or uncomfortable about your bad hairline.
To sum this all, we can say that bad hairlines are caused by male pattern hair loss induced by the testosterone byproduct DHT. A bad hairline can be seen as a sign of hair loss and may recede your hairline backward.
The most vital thing is to consult an expert for your hair loss issues. Before you start any medication or use any chemical on your head, you must take professional advice.
- Mrinal Gupta VM. Classifications of Patterned Hair Loss: A Review. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2016;9(1):3.
- Grymowicz M, Rudnicka E, Podfigurna A, Napierala P, Smolarczyk R, Smolarczyk K, et al. Hormonal Effects on Hair Follicles. Int J Mol Sci. 2020 Jul 28;21(15):5342.
- Christiansen S. What to Know About Receding Hairline for Men and Women [Internet]. [cited 2021 Sep 17]. Available from: https://www.verywellhealth.com/receding-hairline-overview-4684593
- Diagnosing Hair Loss [Internet]. [cited 2021 Sep 17]. Available from: https://nyulangone.org/conditions/hair-loss/diagnosis
- What Is Biotin Cream? [Internet]. [cited 2021 Sep 17]. Available from: http://www.wise-geek.com/what-is-biotin-cream.htm
- Minoxidil Topical: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD [Internet]. [cited 2021 Sep 17]. Available from: https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-3503/minoxidil-topical/details
- Finasteride in the treatment of men with androgenetic alopecia. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1998 Oct 1;39(4):578–89.
- Raman R, MS, RD. 12 Healthy Foods High in Antioxidants [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2021 Sep 17]. Available from: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-high-in-antioxidants
- Association of type 2 diabetes with central-scalp hair loss in a large cohort study of African American women. International Journal of Women’s Dermatology. 2019 Sep 1;5(4):261–6.
- Nelson J. Hair Transplant [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2021 Sep 17]. Available from: https://www.healthline.com/health/hair-transplant
- Johnson J. Receding hairline: Treatment, stages, and causes [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2021 Sep 17]. Available from: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320537
- Belfiore E. The 10 Best Hair Loss Concealers [Internet]. WWD; 2021 [cited 2021 Sep 17]. Available from: https://wwd.com/shop/shop-beauty/best-hair-loss-concealers-1234728779/
- Ravi MJ. 11 Best Hair Fibers To Buy In 2021 (Reviews & Buying Guide) [Internet]. StyleCraze; 2020 [cited 2021 Sep 17]. Available from: https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/best-hair-fiber/
- Renner H. Depression & Stress Management Techniques: Therapy & More [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2021 Sep 17]. Available from: https://www.healthline.com/health/depression/stress-management
- Schmitt JV, Ribeiro CF, de Souza FH de M, Siqueira EBD, Bebber FRL. Hair loss perception and symptoms of depression in female outpatients attending a general dermatology clinic. An Bras Dermatol. 2012 Jun 1;87(3):412–7.
- [No title] [Internet]. [cited 2021 Sep 17]. Available from: https://www.jscimedcentral.com/Psychiatry/psychiatry-5-1091.pdf