PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) is more than just a hormonal imbalance; it's a complex health condition with ripple effects that touch numerous aspects of a woman's life.
One of the most distressing symptoms for many is hair loss. But with a sea of products flooding the market, how does one determine which shampoo is genuinely effective for combating PCOS-induced hair thinning?
Dive deep with us as we unveil the ten best shampoos for PCOS hair loss, curated with care to ensure you nourish those strands back to vitality.
Whether you're a PCOS warrior or someone helping a loved one on their journey, this guide is tailored for you. Let's restore that crowning glory, one wash at a time!
Why does PCOS cause hair loss?
PCOS, or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, can lead to hair loss due to hormonal imbalances, primarily an elevated level of androgens (male hormones) in the body. These heightened androgens can shrink hair follicles, resulting in hair thinning or loss on the scalp.
Here are some causes why PCOS cause hair loss:
- Hormonal imbalance: PCOS brings about elevated levels of androgens, which can adversely affect hair growth.
- Shrinking hair follicles: High androgen levels can cause hair follicles to shrink, leading to thinner strands and reduced hair density.
- Impact of insulin resistance: Many with PCOS have insulin resistance, which can further aggravate hormonal imbalances and potentially influence hair loss.
- Stress and PCOS: Chronic stress, common in those with PCOS, can also contribute to hair loss.
- Other related symptoms: Conditions like seborrheic dermatitis or dandruff, often seen in PCOS patients, can exacerbate scalp health and hair loss issues.
10 best shampoos for PCOS hair loss
Here are the best shampoos for PCOS hair loss, according to our tests:
- Scandinavian Biolabs Hair Strength Shampoo
- Biolage Advanced Full Density Thickening Shampoo
- Philip Kingsley Density Thickening Shampoo
- Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti-Hair Fall Shampoo
- Davines Energizing Shampoo
- Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Shampoo
- SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo
- Kérastase Genesis Bain Hydra-Fortifiant Shampoo
- Christophe Robin Delicate Volumizing Shampoo
- Philip Kingsley Body Building Weightless Shampoo
Read on to understand the reasons and factors behind our rankings.
1. Scandinavian Biolabs Hair Strength Shampoo
Hair Strength Shampoo by Scandinavian Biolabs is a premium hair care product with naturally inspired ingredients to help promote healthy and strong hair after chemotherapy.
Additionally, the formula also contains an amino acid complex that is designed to support hair shaft integrity.
The shampoo includes Niacinamide, an iso-form of Vitamin B3, thought to support keratin levels in the hair.
This shampoo's blend of ingredients helps reduce excessive sebum and rebalance the scalp, resulting in vibrant, fresh, healthy-looking hair.
The shampoo has a pleasant eucalyptus aroma, making it a refreshing and invigorating choice for your daily hair care routine.
2. Biolage Advanced Full Density Thickening Shampoo
The Biolage Advance Full Density Thickening Shampoo takes a dual approach to combat thinning hair due to PCOS.
When paired with the matching conditioner, it can reduce breakage by up to 95%, especially for those with thinning hair. In addition to its hair-strengthening benefits, it also fights frizz.
However, some users may find the scent too strong. This shampoo is excellent for those looking to strengthen and protect their hair against breakage.
3. Philip Kingsley Density Thickening Shampoo
Dive into the rich and transformative experience of Philip Kingsley's thickening shampoo. Specifically formulated for fragile hair, this shampoo promises not just thickness but also strength.
Its regular usage can lead to diminished breakage, enhanced hair health, and deeply hydrated strands that lose strength and density due to hormonal imbalance.
As highlighted by Onuoha, the star ingredients include pea peptides known for their thickening prowess, along with BHAs that gently exfoliate the scalp.
These elements, combined with hyper-branched polymers and strengthening molecules, ensure a comprehensive care routine for your hair.
4. Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti-Hair Fall Shampoo
This brand, known for its successful skincare products, has now expanded into the haircare world with the same dedication to transformation and treatment.
The Anti-hair fall shampoo is specifically formulated to nourish the scalp and strengthen strands, which can help prevent hair loss and promote volume and thickness.
\With continued use, hair becomes more resilient and less prone to breakage, resulting in healthier-looking locks.
This product is worth a try for those seeking a reputable brand that treats and improves hair health.
5. Davines Energizing Shampoo
As per the manufacturer, this shampoo is tailored for those with hair prone to thinning and breakage.
A core ingredient is caffeine, believed by the company to boost circulation and enhance hair's elasticity.
Key ingredients in the shampoo include caffeine, peppermint oil, eucalyptus leaf oil, and citric acid.
Notably, the shampoo is free from parabens and sulfates, making it a cleaner choice for hair care.
6. Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Shampoo
This brand's hair supplement has a cult following, and its shampoo is just as impressive.
Suitable for all hair types and textures, the Vivisical Gorgeous Hair Growth Densifying Shampoo is formulated with strengthening ingredients such as keratin, biotin, collagen and zinc and the brand's proprietary Ana: Tel complex, which helps promote thicker hair.
The botanical scent is refreshing, and the price is affordable. However, it may strip colour-treated hair, which could be a downside for some.
7. SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo
This hydrating SheaMoisture shampoo is perfect for those with curly hair who want to promote thicker, stronger strands. It's also an excellent choice for those with heat-damaged or protected hair.
Users claim they can maintain length and thickness while achieving a clean scalp. However, the thin and runny consistency may only be suitable for some.
8. Kérastase Genesis Bain Hydra-Fortifiant Shampoo
Kérastase developed a new range specifically designed to tackle hair fall and hair loss, which is a common issue among women.
One of the essential products in the field is this fibre-strengthening, hydra-fortified shampoo, enriched with nourishing ingredients to help minimise the risk of breakage and hair loss.
The hair growth shampoo range also includes complementary conditioners, masks, scalp treatments, and in-salon options.
When used together, users reported a significant reduction in hair fall due to breakage, with an impressive 84% improvement.
9. Christophe Robin Delicate Volumizing Shampoo
Christophe Robin's Delicate Volumizing Shampoo is a luxurious and gentle formula specifically designed to provide body and volume to fine, limp hair.
Enriched with rose extracts and baobab leaf, it nourishes and hydrates the hair while adding lift and thickness.
Suitable for both men and women, this shampoo helps to reduce hair fall and promotes a healthy scalp with regular use.
Despite its nourishing properties, some users might find it less moisturising than expected, so pairing it with a hydrating conditioner is recommended.
10. Philip Kingsley Body Building Weightless Shampoo
The Body Building Weightless Shampoo is designed to give you movie-star volume and shine.
This volumising shampoo is perfect for delicate, limp, flat, and flyaway hair, adding bounce, lift, and volume to your locks.
Formulated with keratin and carefully selected volumising ingredients, it boosts limp hair and leaves it looking fuller and thicker.
Moreover, this gentle cleansing shampoo can be used daily, making fine hair manageable and easy to style.
It contains natural cellulose and collagen that plumps and thickens each strand, making it perfect for those looking for maximum volume.
How to choose the best shampoo for PCOS hair loss?
Choosing the right shampoo for PCOS hair loss involves understanding the unique challenges posed by PCOS and recognizing the diverse needs of your hair. Here's a more detailed guide to making an informed choice:
Consider active ingredients
- Biotin: Often referred to as Vitamin H, biotin strengthens hair and promotes growth.
- Caffeine: This can stimulate hair roots, improve follicle health, and extend the life cycle of hair.
- Ketoconazole: Originally used as an antifungal, it has shown promise in treating androgenic alopecia, a type of hair loss associated with PCOS.
- Saw Palmetto: Some studies suggest that saw palmetto might block an enzyme (5-alpha-reductase) that converts testosterone into DHT, a hormone linked to hair loss.
Personal hair type and needs
- Hair texture and porosity: It's crucial to understand whether your hair is fine or coarse and its porosity level, as these factors determine how your hair absorbs and retains moisture.
- Scalp condition: PCOS can sometimes be associated with dandruff or a dry scalp. Choose shampoos that also cater to these conditions.
- Sensitivity: If you have a sensitive scalp, opt for shampoos free from sulfates, parabens, and artificial fragrances.
Brand reputation and reviews
- Research the brand: Choose established brands known for their research and efficacy in hair care. Brands that invest in dermatological testing can be more reliable.
- User reviews: These are golden! Real experiences from users can provide insights into the shampoo's efficacy, possible side effects, and overall satisfaction.
- Expert opinions: Hair care specialists, dermatologists, or trichologists might provide recommendations or reviews on specific products, lending them credibility.
- Moisture and protein balance: Shampoos that ensure a balance of moisture and protein can help maintain hair resilience and reduce breakage.
- Environmental impact: In the era of sustainable choices, consider shampoos that are eco-friendly, cruelty-free, and come in biodegradable or recyclable packaging.
- Cost versus quantity: While investing in good hair care is vital, ensure that the product offers value for its price. Some high-quality shampoos might be more concentrated, requiring less product per wash.
By combining the right knowledge with a thoughtful approach, you can find the perfect shampoo to address hair loss due to PCOS, supporting healthier hair and bolstering your confidence.
PCOS-induced hair loss can be daunting, adding emotional strain to a complex health condition.
However, the right shampoo, tailored to an individual's specific needs and hair type, can make a significant difference.
One can navigate the myriad of products available by focusing on key ingredients, understanding personal hair attributes, and relying on trusted brands backed by user testimonials and expert opinions.
Ultimately, it's about restoring hair and reclaiming confidence and well-being. With the proper knowledge and tools, every PCOS warrior can shine with resilience and radiance.
Is hair loss due to PCOS permanent?
While PCOS can lead to significant hair thinning and loss, it is not always permanent. With the right treatment, lifestyle changes, and hair care regimen, many women can experience hair regrowth. However, the degree of recovery varies among individuals.
Besides using specialized shampoos, how else can I combat hair loss from PCOS?
A multifaceted approach is crucial. This can include hormone-balancing medications prescribed by a doctor, a balanced diet rich in essential nutrients, regular exercise to help manage PCOS symptoms, and topical treatments like minoxidil. Reducing stress through practices like yoga or meditation can also benefit hair health.
Why do I experience excessive hair growth on the face and body but hair loss on the scalp with PCOS?
This paradoxical symptom is due to the elevated levels of androgens (male hormones) associated with PCOS. These hormones can shrink hair follicles on the scalp, causing hair thinning while stimulating hair growth in areas like the face, chest, and back.
Can supplements help in addressing hair loss caused by PCOS?
Some supplements, such as biotin, zinc, vitamin D, and omega-3 fatty acids, are commonly used for supporting hair health. However, it's essential to consult a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement, as they can interact with other medications or conditions.