Every day, billions of people rely on coffee as a cost-effective and readily available pick-me-up to rouse themselves from their morning grogginess or get them through afternoon slumps or evening shifts.
But something you might not know is that caffeine is also good for your hair!
Your daily cup of coffee can also regrow your hair and give you oozing confidence.
But wait! Don’t be so hasty in pouring your cup directly on your hair!
Caffeine needs to be applied in the correct form, in caffeine shampoo, to reap its amazing benefits on hair and on your self-assurance.
- Caffeine helps in blocking the DHT - a harmful androgen preventing hair from getting the essential nutrients and natural oils.
- Caffeine induces hair cells to create ATP to promote hair growth.
- Usage of caffeine shampoo results in 33-40% hair growth.
- Caffeine shampoos have a lot of benefits for those suffering from hair problems.
What is caffeine?
Caffeine is a natural stimulant that has made its way into various products. It has been around for thousands of years and ranks as one of the top active food ingredients most commonly consumed worldwide.
One can find varying caffeine traces in beverages (such as coffee, tea, or soft drinks), prescription or over-the-counter drugs, supplements, and even skin and haircare.
Learn more about this ingredient and the gains it poses for one’s strands.
Why is caffeine good for hair?
Caffeine is used on hair to help it grow because it makes the scalp more active. It targets the roots in hair growth’s initial phases, targeting a hormone called Dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
DHT is an androgen that can prevent the hair follicles from getting sufficient vitamins, proteins, and minerals, causing one to lose their hair faster and earlier.
Read more: How To Reduce Hair Loss With DHT Blocking Foods?
Research shows that caffeine combats hair loss by inducing hair cells to produce more Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP). It is a molecule that carries energy to encourage the cells to grow hair.
Caffeine also helps speed up the hair growth cycle and has been observed to increase hair length from 33-40%. But more supporting medical evidence is needed to back up this claim entirely.
With increased blood circulation, caffeine promotes healthy hair follicles as more nutrients reach the hair’s scalp and roots — the stimulation and nourishment result in faster, healthier, and stronger hair growth.
What are the benefits of using caffeine shampoo?
Many people can profit from caffeine’s benefits on hair, especially with the high prevalence of alopecia (hair loss) and hair thinning on both men and women. The first-ever caffeine shampoo came into existence back in 1905.
Like the newer caffeine shampoos to date, they are all designed to penetrate the skin, dousing the hair follicles and re-invigorating the hair. It swiftly courses through the hair shaft and directly to the hair follicles.
Washing hair with the product and leaving it on the hair and scalp for at least two minutes (preferably longer), even after rinsing the caffeine shampoo out, will have anyone reap benefits.
Here are some things that caffeine shampoo can help with:
- Helping prevent hair loss and other types of hair fall
- Soothing a few scalp-related problems (i.e., dandruff, itchy skin, and weakening of hair)
- Strengthening and stimulating the hair follicles from the inside
- Adding volume to hair
- Improving the quality of hair
- Helping enhance dark hair colours
What is the best caffeine shampoo of 2023?
We understand that it can be difficult to trust hair care products that make big promises, especially if you've been disappointed in the past. That's why we want to assure you that Scandinavian Biolabs Hair Strength Shampoo is a product you can trust.
Hence, our money-back guarantee.
Our shampoo is formulated with natural ingredients that have been scientifically proven to nourish and strengthen hair. We've also conducted extensive research and testing to ensure that our product delivers real results. You can rest assured that our claims are not just marketing hype.
In fact, our customer service team is willing to send you our clinical results (removed from the public to protect ourselves from competition).
We understand that many people struggle with weak, thinning, or damaged hair. That's why we've made it our mission to provide a solution that truly works. Our shampoo is fortified with caffeine, which has been shown to stimulate hair growth and reduce hair loss. It also contains a carefully selected blend of plant-based ingredients that work together to provide deep hydration and nourishment to your hair.
We know that you're looking for a product that is safe and effective, and that's exactly what you'll get with Scandinavian Biolabs Hair Strength Shampoo. Our formula is free from harmful chemicals that can damage hair, and it's suitable for all hair types.
We believe that once you try our shampoo, you'll see and feel the difference in your hair. You'll feel confident knowing that you're using a product that is backed by science and trusted by thousands of satisfied customers. Say goodbye to weak and damaged hair and hello to strong, healthy, and vibrant locks with Scandinavian Biolabs Hair Strength Shampoo.
What are some caffeine shampoo brands?
There are several other brands of caffeine shampoo available on the market, some of which include:
- Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo
- Nioxin System 2 Cleanser Shampoo with Caffeine
- OGX Thick & Full + Biotin & Collagen Shampoo (contains caffeine)
- Ultrax Labs Hair Surge Caffeine Hair Loss Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo
- PURA D'OR Original Gold Label Anti-Thinning Shampoo with Biotin, Nettle Extract & Caffeine.
It's important to note that while these brands may contain caffeine, their formulations and effectiveness may vary. It's always recommended to do your research and read reviews before making a purchase to ensure that the product will meet your specific hair care needs.
How to use caffeine shampoo effectively?
To use caffeine shampoo effectively, follow these steps:
- Wet your hair thoroughly before applying the shampoo. This will help to distribute the product evenly and ensure that it reaches your scalp.
- Apply a small amount of shampoo to your scalp and massage it in gently with your fingertips. Focus on the roots of your hair, as this is where the caffeine will be most effective.
- Leave the shampoo on your scalp for 2-3 minutes. This will allow the caffeine to penetrate the hair follicles and stimulate hair growth.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water. Be sure to rinse all of the shampoo out, as leftover product can lead to dryness and breakage.
- Use caffeine shampoo no more than 2-3 times per week. While it may be tempting to use it more frequently, overuse can lead to dryness and damage to your hair.
- Follow up with a conditioner to keep your hair soft and hydrated. Look for a conditioner that is formulated for your hair type.
Be patient. It can take several weeks of consistent use to see results from caffeine shampoo. Stick with it, and you may notice thicker, stronger, and healthier hair over time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Just as many are ecstatic to try caffeine shampoo, those who have a particular sensitivity to ingredients often have reservations about trying it. Here are a few answers to the frequently asked questions on caffeine and caffeine shampoo usage:
What's the research on caffeine shampoo?
Caffeine shampoos are said to help with hair growth and reduce hair loss. A study in 2014 found that a 2% caffeine shampoo resulted in increased hair growth and reduced hair loss in men with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness).
What are the side effects of caffeine shampoos?
While caffeine shampoos are generally considered safe for most people, there are a few potential risks and side effects to be aware of:
- Skin irritation: Some people may experience scalp irritation, redness, or itching when using caffeine shampoos, especially if they have sensitive skin.
- Allergic reactions: While rare, some individuals may be allergic to caffeine or other ingredients in the shampoo. Symptoms may include rash, hives, or difficulty breathing.
- Overuse: Using caffeine shampoo too frequently or leaving it on the scalp for too long can lead to dryness and breakage of the hair. It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for use.
- Caffeine overdose: While it is unlikely to experience caffeine overdose from using caffeine shampoo alone, excessive use of caffeine-containing products in combination with other caffeine sources (such as coffee or energy drinks) could potentially lead to overdose symptoms, including rapid heart rate, restlessness, and anxiety.
It's always a good idea to do a patch test on a small area of skin before using a new product, and to consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns about using caffeine shampoo.
Is there anyone who should NOT use caffeine shampoos?
Caffeine is a relatively safe ingredient, and it usually is only used in minuscule percentages in products. With most caffeine shampoos, any scalp or hair type can use them without side effects.
As a precaution, it is best to still check the label before you purchase or consume something.
You can also do the patch test which calls for applying a tiny amount of the product on your skin and waiting for up to 12 hours to see if any allergic reaction occurs.
Can caffeine cause hair loss?
Caffeine, on its own, presents several health benefits, but, as with most things (including vitamins and antioxidants), too much of it can negatively affect one’s overall health and adversely affect the hair’s growth cycle by slowing it down.
In caffeine shampoos, the percentage of this active organic ingredient is relatively small, so one cannot technically go overboard on the dosage.
However, be careful not to use too much shampoo in any case as it may lead to product build up on your scalp or dryness of the hair.
Consult a dermatologist before mixing products to avoid overloading your hair. Or you can purchase a pre-mixed product that is safe to use.
How often should I use caffeine shampoo?
It is safe to use caffeine shampoos every day or as often one would typically wash their hair.
However, depending on the chosen caffeine shampoo brand, one should double-check the labels for possibly harmful chemical ingredients. Also, make sure that the product is specifically for your scalp and hair type.
Read more: Does Washing Hair Everyday Cause Hair Loss?
How long is it before I see results from caffeine shampoo?
While there is evidence of caffeine stimulating hair growth and preventing hair loss, experts conclude that more research is needed to determine the full range of its effects.
Results will also vary depending on the product used and on the individual using it.
For better hair health, one must also consider lifestyle and medical conditions (if any). If one is suffering from hair loss, especially if it is sudden or unexpected, seek immediate consultation with a health care professional.
Does caffeine shampoo affect my testosterone levels?
The caffeine in the shampoo will only protect the hair roots against the effects of testosterone. It cannot change the levels of testosterone in the body.
Will a caffeine shampoo keep me awake or disrupt my sleep at night?
The caffeine and any other active ingredients in it will only reach as far as the root of the hair follicle. Using the product as directed will not affect the rest of the body, and its effects are only local to the scalp (and the hair strands to a certain extent).
What are the main ingredients of caffeine shampoos?
Caffeine shampoos usually contain sodium laureth sulfate, sodium chloride, sodium citrate, hydrolyzed wheat protein, sodium benzoate, sodium lauroyl glutamate, citric acid, potassium sorbate, etc.
Depending on your sensitivity to allergens, you may opt for higher-end caffeine shampoos which only use vegan, clean, and naturally derived ingredients that won't flare up your scalp.
Is drinking caffeine better than applying it topically?
Unfortunately, drinking coffee will not affect the hair or hair growth unless consumed in copious amounts (which may lead to hair loss or thinning).
For the best results, apply caffeine directly on the hair and scalp with a shampoo that is apt for one’s scalp and hair type and minimal or no harmful chemicals.