For many centuries, people debated the cause of hair loss to be genetic. But now, medical studies have found that hair loss can be associated with DHT. The discovery of DHT has given the medical practitioner the ability to try to prevent or reduce it.
In this article, we'll tell you 8 most effective ways how you can remove DHT from scalp.
- A better method for hair growth
- What is DHT & how is it harmful?
- How to remove DHT from your scalp? Natural and medical ways
Is there a better method for hair growth?
Both clinical trials and real success stories from people like you are in our favor, with the former having up to 93% in successful participants when combating hair loss.
Find out if we can help you by answering this quiz!
What is DHT & how is it harmful?
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is an anagen male sex hormone that develops male characteristics in their puberty phase. This process includes changing of voice, body hair, and mass muscle, etc.
During this process, androgen receptors convert testosterone into DHT. It attaches itself to the anagen and blocks the nourishment to reach hair follicles. The problem is that regrown hair will be thinner and weaker. In other words, you can eventually have baldness or hair loss.
Even though DHT is needed to produce body hair, high levels of DHT are harmful to the hair growing on your head.
How to remove DHT from the scalp?
Natural alternatives have also become a way to reduce DHT. If not else, chemical medical treatments are also good options to remove the DHT from the scalp too.
5 natural ways to remove DHT from scalp
- Stinging Nettle
- Pygeum Bark
- Green Tea
- Saw Palmetto
- Essential Oils
How do they work?
- Stinging Nettle: it is an ancient Egyptian plant that has holistic properties. It contains certain minerals like magnesium which is known to be good against hair loss. Researchers believe that nettle has the potential to stop hair loss and also promote healthy and thicker hair.
- Pygeum Bark: It is a bark of an African tree that has many healing properties. That unique fatty acid structure slows down the 5alpha-reductase by working with hormones.
- Green Tea: Green Tea contains polyphenols and flavonoids that show there is a high level of antioxidants. Green tea improves the circulation of hormones and helps inhibit testosterone production; this interferes with testosterone conversion to DHT. It has the potential to block the hormone which causes hair loss (DHT).
- Saw Palmetto: It is an extract of the berries from the palm tree plant. This extract helps in decreasing the uptake of DHT in the hair follicle. Saw Palmetto also lowers the binding of DHT to androgenetic receptors to prevent it from settling in the hair follicle.
- Essential Oils: Emu oil and pumpkin seed oil are good for head massage. It helps with better blood circulation and also blocks the DHT. These oils will refine your hair health and hair growth.
2 chemical remedies to remove DHT from your scalp
DHT blocker shampoos
These shampoos are beneficial to reduce the production of 5AR that causes the testosterone to convert into DHT. These shampoos usually consist of pumpkin seeds, nettle extract, saw palmetto extract, and azelaic acid. All these ingredients are a vital deterrent for the production of DHT.
Minoxidil, Finasteride and Dutasteride (5 Alpha Reductase Inhibitors)
5AR Inhibitors can stop the body from producing DHT from testosterone. Medical professionals recommend Dutasteride, Topical Minoxidil, and Finasteride to treat hair loss or male baldness. These medications can suppress the DHT levels.
Finasteride has proven to produce regrowth by 68%. In comparison, Dutasteride was able to lower the levels of DHT by 79% (vs. 70% of Finasteride). Both of these medications are only available on a doctor’s prescription.
Minoxidil is available over the counter with 2% to 5% as its dosage strength which helps increase the hair growth and helps in decreasing the resting phase.
The need for testosterone is crucial for the development of male characteristics. Yet testosterone conversion to DHT can be harmful to adults as it only lets your hair follicles starve and make them thin and weak.
To avoid hair loss, a lot of people are moving towards medicinal plants or herbs. In a way, herbal treatment has proved effective in reducing the DHT from your scalp without causing any side effects.
The sooner you address your hair loss, the lesser the damage it will cause. Always seek medical practitioner advice before embarking on your journey to stop hair loss.
- Does Minoxidil Work For A Receding Hairline?
- Widow’s Peak: Everything You Need to Know
- Uneven Hairline: Why It Happens & Should You Worry?
- The effects of Finasteride on scalp skin and serum androgen levels in men with androgenetic alopecia. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999 Oct 1;41(4):550–4.
- The effectiveness of treatments for androgenetic alopecia: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017 Jul 1;77(1):136–41.e5.
- Gupta AK, Charrette A. Topical Minoxidil: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Its Efficacy in Androgenetic Alopecia. Skinmed. 2015 May;13(3):185–9.