Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a hormonal enzyme that blocks nourishment from reaching the hair follicles. DHT causes hairs to become weak and thin and lead to hair loss. As the name suggests, DHT blocker shampoos block the hormone from entering your scalp.
Studies have found that DHT Blocker shampoos have been successful in treating hair loss, especially if other medications are being taken with it.
However, DHT shampoos have side effects that can be a deal-breaker. Why would you when there's an alternative that is both effective and safe?
There is very limited research done on the DHT blocker shampoos and if they cause any side effects.
In this article, we will be covering DHT Blocker Shampoo side effects.
- What are DHT blocker shampoo side effects?
- Is there a safer alternative?
- Are DHT blocker shampoos effective in preventing hair loss?
- What should you do if you experience side effects?
What are DHT blocker shampoo side effects?
The main side effects of DHT blocker shampoos are:
- Scalp rashes, blisters and burn
- Change of hair texture
- Irritation, dryness in scalp
- Allergic reactions such as wheezing, difficulty breathing, hives, rashes, heart palpitations, fear, anxiety and swelling.
- Some ingredients accelerate hair loss
- Fading hair color
- Premature scalp aging
- Inflammation and block blood circulation to hair follicles.
- Encourage production of weak and thin hairs.
Ketoconazole side effects
DHT blocker Shampoo that has ketoconazole as an ingredient can cause rashes and blisters on the scalp. Sometimes the scalp skin is so sensitive that DHT blocker shampoo can cause a reaction. This can burn your scalp in more severe cases.
Dryness and irritation
Other symptoms of DHT blocker shampoo can be irritation and dryness over the skin of the scalp. It can also spread to your face. This can happen due to sensitive skin to foreign substances.
Another side effect that you can have from DHT blocking shampoos is an allergic reaction. Some allergic reactions can be mild to severe. That mostly gives you hives, makes it hard to breathe, and causes rashes.
You can also get allergic rhinitis that can lead to nasal congestion or sneezing. Severe reactions can be wheezing, heart palpitations, fear, and anxiety, swelling of the face and eyes.
Paraben side effects
DHT Blocker shampoos might have parabens in their ingredient. They contain synthetic estrogens and can accelerate the hair loss that you are trying to avoid in the first place. They can fade the color of your hair and can activate premature scalp aging.
Sulfate side effects
DHT blocker shampoos with sulfates can dehydrate your head. It can remove the natural oil from your scalp, which helps in keeping your hair healthy. They are also known for skin irritants. They can cause thinning of the hair and might instigate more hair loss.
Other chemicals might be harmful, too
Although not every chemical can harm you, some synthetic chemicals can make your hair loss much worse. It can cause inflammation and might block the circulation flow to the hair follicles. It can make the hair loss worse than it already is.
If your scalp is sensitive, the chemicals in the shampoo can cause your hair to break out and produce weak and thin hair instead of fixing it.
Is there a safer alternative to DHT blocking shampoo?
Most of the time, nature provides us with safe, effective and affordable solutions.
With that principle in mind, we at Scandinavian Biolabs, together with scientists across Europe, came up with a natural solution for hair growth.
On top of that, we've added more reasons why we should be in your shortlist:
- Our clinical trials have shown impressive results, including a 93% decrease in hair loss of the participants.
- We are loved and trusted by thousands, with success stories sent voluntarily by our customers who are extremely satisfied.
- You'll receive an industry-leading 150 days money-back guarantee - you get every cent you paid if our products are ineffective.
But don't take it from us, Gary (one of our success stories) said this:
"I have so far been using your products since early July and I have attached pictures of my hair taken in April 2020 (the first three pictures below) when I sent pictures to a hair transplant clinic in anticipation of them proving a hair transplant procedure...
I then came across your product and have been using it daily since July...
...Just thought the results might interest you. I have for the moment cancelled any plans to undergo a hair transplant."
Are DHT blocker shampoos effective in preventing hair loss?
DHT shampoos are good to prevent hair fall in the early stages, but they can not reverse hair loss. These shampoos are usually taken with other medications; hence they are not as effective alone.
Our Scandinavian Biolabs shampoo is also effective in preventing hair fall and hair loss. In fact, we are so confident that we have a money-back guarantee if you don't see the results.
But once the follicles are dead, it is not reversible with shampoos alone. If you're in doubt whether shampoos can actually help you regrow hair, check out our quiz!
What to do if you see side effects?
In case of severe side effects of DHT blockers shampoo, consult a doctor as soon as possible. Do not apply the shampoo again and wait for the doctor’s instruction for further medication for hair loss.
- Gabapentin and Hair Loss: How To Deal With It?
- Amino Acids For Hair: The Basics
- Hair Falling Out In Shower: What Do I Do?
- Dihydrotestosterone [Internet]. [cited 2021 Sep 19]. Available from: https://www.yourhormones.info/hormones/dihydrotestosterone/
- Burke D. Allergic Reaction: Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention & More [Internet]. 2021 [cited 2021 Sep 19]. Available from: https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/allergic-reaction
- Green B. How Bad are Parabens for Your Hair? [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2021 Sep 19]. Available from: https://voiceofhair.com/how-bad-are-parabens-for-your-hair/