Are you writing a piece on hair loss? Or are you just curious about some hair loss statistics? Here are 55 of the most interesting and useful hair loss statistics for 2023.
Our list of 55 mind-boggling hair loss statistics is categorized into 16 categories for easy navigation.
Let's jump right in!
- Top 10 Most Surprising Statistics We've Found
- Men's Hair Loss Statistics
- Women's Hair Loss Statistics
- Hair Loss Industries Statistics
- Health & Hair Loss Statistics
- Children Hair Loss Statistics
- General Hair Loss Statistics
- Descent-Related Hair Loss Statistics
- US Hair Loss Statistics
- China Hair Loss Statistics
- Australia Hair Loss Statistics
- India Hair Loss Statistics
- UK Hair Loss Statistics
- South Korea Hair Loss Statistics
- Hair Loss Perception Statistics
- Hair Transplant Statistics
- Smoking Hair Loss Statistics
Top 10 Most Surprising Statistics We've Found
- One in 4 men will start balding before 21.
- 29% women with hair loss showed two symptoms of depression.
- Women with high stress levels are 11 times more likely to experience hair loss.
- 58% children suffering from alopecia met the criteria for anxiety disorders.
- Hair loss can start as early as 15.
- Native Americans are immune to hair loss.
- African American women are more susceptible to traction alopecia.
- Canada is the most expensive country to have a hair transplant.
- Smokers have incredibly higher chances to suffer from severe hair loss.
- British men are more afraid of losing their hair than their job.
Men's Hair Loss Statistics
- 95% of hair loss in men is caused by androgenetic alopecia (1)
- 25% of men start balding before 21 years old (1)
- 66% of men will experience hair loss by the age of 35 (1)
- 85% of men will have significantly thinner hair by 50 (1)
- 70% of men experience hair loss by 80 (2)
- Bald men do not always have more testosterone (3)
Women's Hair Loss Statistics
- 50% of women experience hair loss in their lifetime (3)
- 2-3% of women are affected by female pattern hair loss by 30 (4)
- 10% of women are affected by female pattern hair loss by 50 (4)
- 30% of women are affected by female pattern hair loss by 70 (4)
- 50% of women start losing their hair by 50 years old (5)
- 43% women wished their hair was fuller and thicker (35)
- 29% of women with hair loss reported two symptoms of depression (6)
- Women with high-stress levels are 11 times more likely to experience hair loss (23)
- 50% of women experience hair loss post menopause (24)
Hair Loss Industries Statistics
- Hong Kong is the main exporter of human hair with 44,4%, followed by India with 14,3% (33)
- 12,42 million Americans used hair growth products in 2020, the number is projected to be 12,94 million in 2024 (37)
- JD.com hair loss shampoo sales in China skyrocketed 387% compared to the previous quarter (19)
Health & Hair Loss Statistics
- Baldness can be a sign of coronary heart disease risk, depending on the location (7)
- 65% of patients experience hair loss in chemo (8)
Children Hair Loss Statistics
- 3% of pediatric office visits are related to children's hair fall (9)
- 58% of children suffering from alopecia met the criteria for anxiety disorders (23)
General Hair Loss Statistics
- The average person has 100000 hair strands (10)
- Hair stretches up to 30% in length when it’s healthy and wet. (11)
- 90% of your hair is in the growth phase. (11)
- Hair shedding is normal up from up to 100 hairs daily (12)
- Hair grows between 0,2 and 0,7 inches monthly (13)
- Hair loss can start at 15 (14)
- Tight hairstyles can cause hair loss (16)
Descent-Related Hair Loss Statistics
- Redheaded people have 90000 hairs, brown-haired people have 110000 hairs and blondes have 150000 hairs, on average. (10)
- Men of African descent have the lowest hair density, then Hispanics and Caucasians. (15)
- Native Americans are immune to hair loss (10)
- African American women are more susceptible to traction alopecia (17)
- People of these descents are most affected by androgenetic alopecia (descending order): Caucasians – Asians – Africans – Native Americans – Eskimos (10)
US Hair Loss Statistics
- A total of 56 people, 35 million men, and 21 million women suffer from hair loss in the US (18)
China Hair Loss Statistics
- 250 million Chinese people suffer from hair loss (19)
- 60% of men in China reported hair health problems (19)
India Hair Loss Statistics
- 63,2% of Indian men aged 21 to 61 suffer from hair loss (20)
UK Hair Loss Statistics
- 8 million women in the UK experience hair loss (21)
- 6,5 million men in the UK experience hair loss (22)
South Korea Hair Loss Statistics
- 71,8% male consumers in South Korea had symptoms of hair loss (32)
- 39,8% of Korean men admitted they were using hair loss shampoo (34)
Hair Loss Perception Statistics
- 40% of women with alopecia reported marital problems and 63% reported career problems (23)
- 81% of women feel confident when their hair looks great, and 72% say their hair is empowering (23)
- 81% women said hair thinning affected a woman's appearance in a negative way (36)
- British men are more afraid of losing their hair than their job (25)
Hair Transplant Statistics
- One out of 13 men has a hair transplant (26)
- 87% of hair transplant patients are men, and 13% are women (27)
- Canada has the highest average hair transplant cost of 17,500 USD and Turkey has the lowest average of 2,676 USD (39)
Smoking Hair Loss Statistics
- 425 out of 500 smokers showed signs of hair loss, compared to 200 out of 500 non-smokers (28)
- 47% of smokers had grade 3 hair loss and 24% had grade 4 (28)
- 20% of non-smokers had grade 2 and 50% had grade 3 or 4 hair loss (28)
- Smokers had earlier onset of hair graying (29)
- Smokers are at a higher risk of developing issues during hair transplant surgery (30)
- Smokers tend to have reduced hair oil production starting from 45 to 50 years old (31)
Statistics tell us that hair loss is more prevalent and common than we think. And it's not always our fault.
Therefore, it's a good idea to eliminate the stigmas around hair loss to alleviate the distress people who experience hair loss experience.
- Can You Use A Derma Roller For Receding Hairlines?
- Why Does My Hair Grow So Slow?
- Does TRT Cause Hair Loss? A Review