How to grow hair faster for men is a busy topic with insight from thousands of experts and doctors. But what to trust and what not to trust? In this article, a dermatologist will walk you through the trusted steps to how to grow hair faster for men.
- The Deal with Finasteride and Minoxidil
- Do Hair Growth Gummies Work?
- 8 Truths You Need To Know About Collagen And Hair Health
What is hair growth for men?
Hair is a key element of your overall appearance. Styling your hair in a certain way becomes part of your identity after a while.
However, many men face the problem of slow hair growth, which may lead to unpleasant patches of thin hair, even after treating the underlying cause of hair loss.
A common misconception about hair growth is that taking medicines is enough to restore your hair at a supersonic speed. In reality, you need to adopt several lifestyle modifications to ensure that your body is in optimal conditions.
Additionally, these important steps will lower your risk of future flareups of hair loss, saving you a lot of time and money.
With that said, you need to understand that the rate of hair growth will physiologically decline with age. However, taking the right steps can significantly impact this rate.
In this article, we will share with you some helpful tips to stimulate hair growth and prevent thinning and balding.
How to grow hair faster for men?
Getting a good night's sleep is indispensable to prevent slow hair growth and hair loss. It is simply the antidote for weak, thinning hair follicles.
When your body gets the rest it needs, the regulation of your hormones becomes more efficient, which is crucial for normal hair growth.
According to the National Sleep Foundation, healthy sleep consists of several elements, including:
- The short duration between lying on the bed and falling asleep
- Regular sleep that lasts 7–9 hours every day
- Non-interrupted sleep during the night
- Feeling energized in the morning
- Being able to be productive on the next day
- The absence of any abnormal behavior associated with sleep, such as snoring, sleep apnea, or restlessness
It is difficult to go through your day without dealing with a source of stress. The fast pace and the demanding nature of today’s modern life make stress an integral part of our routines.
However, you need to remember that stress can negatively impact your overall wellbeing, as well as the normal rate of hair growth.
Here is the breakdown of the three phases that each hair follicle undergoes:
- Anagen (2-6 years) – the active phase of hair growth
- Catagen (2-3 weeks) – the transition phase at which hair stops growing
- Telogen (2-3 months) – the final stage where your hair starts falling
The bad news is that stress can push your hair follicles to the third phase of hair growth – the telogen phase – much earlier. In other words, your hair falls before its time.
Practicing anxiolytic (i.e., anxiety-relieving) activities, such as yoga, meditation, and exercise, can significantly improve your stress levels.
Follow a healthy diet
Adding healthy foods to your menu will undoubtedly lead to impressive health results. Like all physiological functions in your body, hair follicles require nutrients to grow at a healthy rate.
When you consume proteins, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates, you will provide the hair follicles with the building blocks they need to grow.
Dr. Ailynne Marie Vergara-Wijangco from thankyourskin.com wrote:
- Eat your way to healthy hair by having a healthy diet with essential fatty acids especially Omega 3s.
- Vitamin B6 (banana, potatoes) and vitamin B12.
- Folic Acid.
- Fruits & Vegetables (citrus & tomato).
- Minerals (Iron, magnesium, zinc, biotin).
Here are three examples of superfoods that help with hair growth:
Kale one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables on the planet! It contains large amounts of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber.
- 684% of the daily value (DV) for vitamin K
- 206% of the DV for vitamin A
- 134% of the DV for vitamin C
Its rich content in antioxidants (e.g., lutein, beta-carotene) makes it especially beneficial for hair growth.
According to experts, cooking kale lowers the nutritional values it holds, which is why it’s best to consume it raw.
- Dark chocolate
Dark chocolate is nutrient-dense, with numerous beneficial ingredients, such as iron, magnesium, copper, manganese, zinc, copper, potassium, and fiber.
Fiber is one of the best substances to detoxify your cells and dampen inflammation across the body.
Furthermore, the minerals found in dark chocolate help your hair grow faster by providing it with the building blocks it needs.
Finally, cacao is rich in antioxidants that lower the risk of several pathologies, including heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, eczema, psoriasis, and hair loss.
Green tea has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that neutralize the action of free radicals and proinflammatory substances. Consequently, your risk of developing certain forms of alopecia significantly drops.
Massage your head for optimal hair growth
Sayuri, Head Specialist from Head Spa EN:
Massaging your head and scalp is an excellent way to lower your stress and stimulate the growth of hair follicles.
When you apply pressure on your head, you will boost blood circulation to the roots of hair follicles, which is exactly what you need to make your hair thicker and more abundant.
You only need to perform this task for 3–5 minutes per day, yet it will produce impactful results.
Choose your products carefully for men's hair growth
Be careful about the type of hair products you purchase since many of them can do more harm than good.
Seeking natural ingredients that did not undergo any chemical processing or preservation efforts will ensure that no obstacles are blocking the normal growth of your hair.
While we do not recommend any specific products that you should buy, you can read our two pieces about the good and bad ingredients in hair products. They will definitely help you make the right choice.
Learn more about the harmful ingredients found in hair styling products.
What doctors say about how to grow hair faster for men?
Dr. Sandra El Hajj from My MS Team:
- Aloe Vera is a natural gel that prevents the blockage of hair follicles caused by excess oil.
- Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids that can get inside the hair shaft and lower protein loss in the hair causing hair thinning.
Peter Bailey, M.D. from Test Prep Insight: Drink Water
In a healthy human hair strand, over a quarter of the strand's volume comes from water. When we become dehydrated, these hair stands have a tendency to shrink, becoming dry and brittle. This has serious negative consequences for hair growth, as it is very difficult for hair to grow when there is not proper tensile strength.
By drinking sufficient amounts of water, we can actually help spur hair growth. Tap water often contains trace minerals that are essential to hair growth, such as iron, zinc, and calcium. In addition, when properly hydrated, your scalp transfers valuable energy to the hair follicles, allowing for consistent hair growth.
When that energy is sapped by dehydration, the result is often hair breakage and the slowing of growth rates. In short, proper water consumption is critical to hair growth, and without drinking sufficient amounts of water each day, your hair will not grow as quickly.
Dr. Sharleen St. Surin-Lord, MD from visagederm.com
- Use anti-dandruff shampoos like ketoconazole: antifungals can be anti-androgen, curbing the hair miniaturization effects of testosterone.
- PRP uses your own stem cells to grow your hair naturally. It requires small blood is drawn. the sample is spun in a centrifuge to isolate your plasma which is full of platelets, contains valuable growth factors. The plasma is injected into your scalp, and you can experience hair growth as early as after 2 treatments (results may vary).
Researchers state that a healthy rate of hair growth is around ½ inch per month. Therefore, you need to activate your scam radar when you see people advertise a product that claims to double or triple your natural hair growth rate in a short time. You also need to be careful about the hair products you purchase since many of them contain harmful ingredients.